August 5 was last date to file ITR or Income Tax Returns and in case you did not file your IT Returns then you do not worry. As in this article you know filing process of ITR. On other hand you must check that at least now you file your income tax returns and not wait for some more time. To understand in detail complete process of income tax filing you continue reading.
Note on filing belated income tax returns for FY 2016-17
Generally you file your IT under Section 139 (1) every time. But you use this section when you file IT Returns within deadline. So if you file ITR after deadline then you go for another section. As a result you file income tax returns under section 139 (4).
How to file Income Tax Returns after due date
- First you go to official site of e filing Income Tax site
- To go to this site you click following link – http://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/
- After that you click on ‘log in’ tab
- Remember that to log in to e filing site you should have user ID, password and date of birth
- In case you do not have user ID and password then you register at e filing website of Income Tax Department
Steps to continue e filing ITR
- To log in at official site you require user ID, password, date of birth
- You also enter captcha code in field provided
- Then click ‘submit’ to log in to official site
- After that you click ‘e file’ tab
- Select ‘prepare and submit ITR online’
- Then select correct relevant form and assessment year
- These steps are similar to filing ITR within deadline
- However you be careful about assessment year and relevant form that you select
- It is so because you file Income Tax Returns after deadline
- Apart from this after you enter above details you fill ITR form
- Here you select ‘return filed under section —– and after due date 139 (4)’
After you finish entering all important details you select ‘preview and submit’ option. It is so because you can complete form before submitting it. In addition you must verify your IT Returns as only then it becomes valid.
Verification process of IT Returns
Government of India and tax authorities allow you to use any one of six ways to verify income tax returns. These are Aadhaar or net banking. Or you may select OTP method or even ITR – V. But here you send acknowledgement copy to CPC Bengaluru.
Processing of IT Returns
All tax payers must see to it that their income tax e file application is correct otherwise you may have some problems later on. On other hand Income Tax Department will start process of ITR when they receive the documents.
You also receive notifications about ITR processing on registered email ID and phone number. Therefore you may keep checking your emails as well as SMS for notifications from IT Department.
Last date to file belated Income Tax Returns
Apart from above things tax payers must remember one more thing. And it is last date to file IT Returns (belated). So you file belated Income Tax Returns before due date which is 31 March 2018. Thus it is best idea that you file ITR before March 31.
Also learn steps to link Aadhaar and PAN card and know last date to link Aadhaar PAN card.