Most confusing question in your mind is how to file income tax return online or offline. We are giving here details about ways to file income tax return. You can choose whatever way you want. But you must file income tax return online if you come under provisions. Otherwise you can choose any method.
Income Tax Return Offline
In case you do not want to file your return online then you can do so offline with Assessing Officer of your authority area. You have to submit your income tax return form with acknowledgment slip to your local income tax department.
Also check how to file income tax return online?
You have to file your income tax returns by October 31 now you have some more time on your hands. Every year Income tax department is trying to make process of filing returns easier for taxpayers. Now, ITR filing can be done by both online and offline modes.
You can file your return either online or offline depending upon your own choice. Also note before deadline you need to file your Income tax returns for assessment year 2017-2018. Read our Guide on how to link your PAN with Aadhaar. Also check what TDS is
Important things to note before your tax filing process
Only following persons have option to file return in paper form
- Person at age of 80 years or more at any time during previous year
- An individual and HUF income does not exceed five lakhs rupees and who has not maintain any refund in return of income
- For offline, return is given in physical paper form. The Income Tax Department will issue you an acknowledgment at time of submission of your physical paper return.
- You can file your tax returns either from Income Tax department website or with help of CAs. If you are an individual with annual income less than Rs 5 lakh without tax refunds or senior citizens, you have option to submit ITR manually or via e-filing. For rest, process is via e-filing.
Steps to follow to file Income Tax Returns offline
Download respective income tax form from income tax website. Income tax department has modified return preparation software to include automatic calculation of tax and interest. Here is step by step guide to your income tax return offline. Read latest income tax slabs and rates
- Open income tax return filling website (incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in)
- Register yourself using your PAN which will act as your user ID
- There are two ways of filing your income tax return
- First you can go to Download Menu and select Income Tax Return form. Afterward save it on your desktop and enter all the details
- Click on ‘generate XML’. Then go to the website again and click on the ‘upload XML’ button. You will have to first log into to upload the XML file saved on your desktop and click on submit.
- Log in and select form and assessment year for which you are filing return and fill in all details.
- You have to select form on basis of your income source. In case of an individual with salary, pension income, house property income or other sources income. For this you have to select form ITR-1 also known as SAHAJ.
- If you have capital gains you have to file Form ITR-2
- Go to submit return on portal left side and upload file after selecting AY and form.
- Then message will flashed on your screen is successful e-filing. So process is complete and acknowledgement form will generate and you can download same.
- At the final step, Take print-out of form ITR-V sign it in blue ink and send signed ITR-V to the centralized processing centre in Bangalore within 120 days of filing the return to complete the tax filing process.
Note: No need to attach any document with income tax return whether offline or online. This process is same for all ITR forms. Check to know all about Form 16 and Form 26AS.
You can choose any of above option and file your return but we suggest to opt for online filing as you will not only save your time but also time of officials who receive returns. In addition you will save paper too.